The scanner comes with a "Quick Start Guide". If you lost yours, you can get a new copy from here (search for your model on the support site).
- Plug the scanner into your laptop computer.
- Find the section of the Quick Start Guide that looks like this:
- Press the trigger to scan the barcode labeled "HID KEYBOARD EMULATION".
- Next, find the section that looks like this:
- Scan these three barcodes in order, 1,2,3.
That's it. The scanner is ready to use.
If you've never used a barcode scanner before, just think of it this way: the scanner is a means of entering a number (series of characters) into the computer without having to type it.
- Open Notepad on your computer and put the cursor in the blank space.
- Scan a barcode from a Vivarium cage card.
When you are doing a Census with Vivarium, make sure the cursor is in the blue-bordered scan box before you start scanning cage cards.